Sunday, December 31, 2006

Are we there yet?

It is a rainy December 31. The big storm that dropped a lot of snow further west has reached Chicago as wind & rain. As they say at least you don’t have to shovel it.

We made good progress on the studding for the basement walls and finished one entire wall along the back of the basement. I am more or less done what I will be able to do this visit.

Things went smoother with practice (and prayer) My son was off yesterday so we enjoyed some time working together. Even got my 8 year old grandson involved for a while. It was a little tense trying to work out the details of the floor plan with my daughter-in-law but we figured out something that seemed to match her vision of things with the practical realities of space and budget.

They are now ready to have some electrical and plumbing work done before finishing off those walls (This is Phase 1 of 4 or 5 phases before it is completely done. As I said to Chris yesterday if he depends on me to be here to do the framing and help with the plumbing & electrical it will likely take 10 years and I’ll be so old & decrepit I won’t be able to swing a hammer!!). But it is a good start and I feel good that we have accomplished something.

Our daughter Melissa and her husband Alexander are traveling here today from Kingston Ontario (over 1100 km – 700 miles) From what I can tell they will be driving into the storm. I hope they left fairly early—although it appears that if they are later getting across into Michigan and Illinois the worst of the weather may have blown by.

I would like to spend some time reflecting on 2006 and thinking forward to 2007 but I don’t have time for that this morning. But I need to wrap this up I need to get ready to go to services. Last week we went to the Community Christian Church with Chris and his family for their Christmas Eve Candle light service. This week we will attend at Naperville Church of Christ.

Anyhow, Chris just got called out on an SRT (swat team) call and I need to wrap this up. For now.

So the end of the year is coming - people are travelling - we are working on projects that we wanted to complete this year -- It is like the kids asking "Are we tthere yet?" -- Well no -- we will always have further to go in this journey until we leave this life or Jesus comes. Life is in the journey - not in the getting things done.


A couple of items from the blogs that I cam across

Bobby Valentine presents some scholarly research from Ephesians on the role of the Holy Spirit in the lives of Christians (December 27-28)

Bobby Cohoon “eulogizes” President Ford and James Brown (December 27)

Tonight as we say goodbye to 2006 and Hello to2007 may God’s richest blessing fill your lives

God Bless
Charlie.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Belated Happy New Year to you!

Sorry I haven't commented in a few days. We were busy over the holidays and I got behind in my blogging, so am catching up this afternoon and evening.

I don't envy you all the cold and snow! I like warm weather myself, although it's been a little too warm the past few days for me, even. I had our AC on yesterday it was so warm and muggy. But it's supposed to get a lot colder beginning tomorrow. Today a cold front is coming through and it's been raining heavily off and on, but off for now.

Look forward to "seeing you" around this new year. I'm starting a new Finding Direction photo contest later this week so you'll have to drop by and send me some good winter photos when you get the chance. I'll give all the "rules" (as in there's only about one or two at the most!) to enter. It's always lots of fun to do.

Later.

Cheers & Blessings to you today! Dee