Friday, June 23, 2006

A beautiful morning

As I sit looking out over Linda’s garden in the moments before sunrise I am reminded again of the beauty and tranquility of God’s creation. It is a cool morning – 5 deg C (41deg F) but clear and promising a very nice summer day.

Soon things that need to be done will press in on me. Soon the realities of what we humans have done with God’s “good” creation will press in on me and challenge the Spirit in this job of producing this fruit of joy peace and soon in my life. But for now I will simply watch the sunrise, listen to the birds and commune with my God as I pray and prepare this entry.

The last few days have been busy. I did my first run as a Red Cross volunteer driver taking a lady to the Group Heath Center for a procedure and then picking her up to return her home 2 hours later. Tuesday I vacuumed and cleaned out the car so it would be a little more presentable for a stranger. We also made reservations for a few days camping at Point Des Chenes for when Tammy & the kids are planning to be herein July.

Wednesday, I replaced a solenoid on my truck in hopes of resolving an intermittent problem with getting the starter to “kick-in” . The battery terminals had some corrosion so I decided to clean them as well—and in the course of doing that one of the cable terminals broke off. I got a replacement part from Canadian tire, rigged it so I could get the truck started and then took it to Art Taylor’s garage yesterday to get it properly installed since that requires a special crimping tool. I also took the car in to have them see if they could fix the leak that has returned despite two prior(expensive) repairs. They didn’t find anything- although they tightened all the clamps and didn’t charge for the work. I now have to wait until I fill the tank and the leak occurs and then take it in so they can see exactly were it is coming from. (Maybe I’ll get lucky and the problem will just go away!

Wednesday (June 21) was also Melissa’ birthday—can’t believe that my “baby girl” is 28 but she is. We tried calling her several times (early morning and in the evening) but only got the machine. Turned out she was in Toronto planting her pumpkins (a whole other story that I might talk about another time). When she called last evening she had just gotten back and was tired, dirty and hungry – and anxious for bath, food and bed.

Wednesday evening we enjoyed a ”webcam” audio/video conversation with Chris & Camdyn and then with Kevin & Will. Kevin had to do an upgrade to MS messenger so we text messaged back& forth a bit while he was doing that. Will had discovered the “emotions” figures and so we had some fun exchanging various “smiley” faces and other pictures until we could get the video up & running. It is such a great thing to be able to see & hear them in this way.

Linda was out being “nanny” to the twins for a couple of hours yesterday and I spent a couple of hours with Lloyd Hotchkiss discussing things we needed to be doing in our role as elders for the Pinehill church.

Tuesday through Thursday I spent a quite a bit of time preparing for an ADnet Board Development session which was held last evening. I was working with Tom Marinelli (via email since he is in Toronto) to develop the agenda and a presentation on our assessment of the Board’s effectiveness and some suggested approaches to improving our ability to meet our obligations as a board. Last evening I presented the material and facilitated a “brainstorming” session on “what can we do to make things better?”

For me it was an enjoyable evening since I haven’t had much opportunity to do this kind of work lately and I like doing it—although it also reminded me why I retired because it can easily become stressful and I can easily “over commit” and end up under extreme pressure at the last minute trying to juggle doing “10 things at once”.

Enough of the “mundane” things about ourdailylives

Have you observed the number of times in Genesis 1 that “God saw that “it” was good” (vs. 4, 10, 12, 18, 21, 25) –And then very good (v. 31) – this was highlighted for me in the Creation song that Linda was teaching to her Sunday morning class last fall -- I haven’t been able to discover the source and so I hope that my putting it here doesn’t violate any copyright’s . It is sung to the tune of the song about the days of Christmas (On the first day of Christmas my true love sent to me .. and a partridge in appear tree)

The creation song

(Tune: The twelve days of Christmas)

Oh God made the world for us in only seven days
and the Lord saw that what he made was good

On the 1st day of creation, the Lord God made for us: Light to light the earth
and the Lord saw that what he made was good

On the 2nd day of creation, the Lord God made for us: Skies so very blue,
Light to light the earth and the Lord saw that what he made was good.

On the 3rd day of creation, the Lord God made for us: Land and sea and plants
Skies so very blue, Light to light the earth and the Lord saw that what he made was good.

On the 4th day of creation, the Lord God made for us: Sun and moon and stars;
Land and sea and plants; Skies so very blue, Light to light the earth
and the Lord saw that what he made was good.

On the 5th day of creation, the Lord God made for us: Fish and birds that fly;
Sun and moon and stars; Land and sea and plants; Skies so very blue,
Light to light the earth and the Lord saw that what he made was good.

On the 6th day of creation, the Lord God made for us: Animals and people;
Fish and birds that fly, Sun and moon and stars; Land and sea and plants;
Skies so very blue, Light to light the earth and the Lord saw that what he made was good.

On the 7th day, God rested from all the work he did; it was very good:
Animals and people; Fish and birds that fly, Sun and moon and stars, land and sea and plants,
Skies so very blue, Light to light the earth and the Lord saw that what he made was good

God Bless

Charlie & Linda


No comments: